The referendum on electoral reform is currently underway in BC until December 30th. By now you should have received your Voting Package in the mail - if you haven't, see below for how to get one.
Why we're asking you to vote YES to Proportional Representation
My Sea to Sky is encouraging everyone to vote YES! to Proportional Representation. Why? Because countries that use Proportional Representation are proven to have much stronger policies to protect clean air and clean water, and to take action on climate change. With Proportional Representation, our campaigns to defend, protect, and restore Howe Sound are more likely to be successful.
Upgrading to Proportional Representation will ensure:
- That every vote counts. No party will get 100% of the power with 40% of the vote.
- You can vote for candidates that best reflect your values, instead of having to vote strategically.
- That we get a government that resembles what we voted for, ending the false majorities of the first-past-the-post system.
- A more collaborative government that plans beyond the next election cycle and creates more stable, long-term policies.
- A more inclusive government with better representation of women and minorities.
- Stronger action on the environment, renewable energy, and climate change.
- More support for public education, health care, and other policies that reduce inequality.
- Local representation accountable to riding constituents.
There is no risk in voting YES! to Proportional Representation. If we win, we get to "try it before we buy it" for the next two elections before we vote again to keep it.
Have you voted YES to Proportional Representation yet?
Amplify your vote
Make sure you talk to friends and family and ask them to vote YES to Proportional Representation too. This is the single most important thing you can do to help fix our broken democracy.
My Sea to Sky is looking for volunteers to help call or text our supporters (using CallHub) to remind everyone to vote YES to Proportional Representation. In just two hours you can contact 200 of our supporters via text, or more. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Have you received your voting package yet?
By now you should have received your Voting Package in the mail. If you haven't received your Voting Package yet, (or you already threw it in the recycling) you can pick one up at your local Service BC office / Referendum Services office. Check https://elections.bc.ca/rso to find the nearest one. You can also fill it out and vote right then and there, job done.
IMPORTANT! You need to mail your vote by November 30th!
The deadline to vote has been extended to December 7th, BUT, did you know that you need to have your ballot in the mail before 30th November to ensure that it’s counted?
OR you can drop off your ballot at your local Service BC office / Referendum Services office by 4:30pm on 7th December. Check https://elections.bc.ca/rso to find the nearest one.
Not sure what type of Proportional Representation to choose? You only have to answer Question 1.
If you know you want to say YES to Proportional Representation, but you’re not sure about Question 2 or which system of Proportional Representation you support, the second question is optional. Any of these three systems will be far better than our current broken First Past the Post electoral system.
Want to learn more? Here are some resources.
Don't just believe us, do your own research, check the facts, ask questions, and make an informed vote before December 7th. Here are some resources to help you make an informed choice about the three types of Proportional Representation listed in Question 2.
- VotePRBC - https://voteprbc.ca/get-informed/
- Fair Vote Canada - https://www.fairvote.ca/pr4bc/
- A helpful myth-busting website - https://prorepfactcheck.ca/
- A fun quiz to help determine which system you prefer: http://referendumguide.ca
Plus two short videos below to help explain the three types of Proportional Representation.